Tuesday, July 29, 2008

prawn noodles

Last Sunday...my mom made her very own Penang style har meen (prawn noodles) or Hokkien Mee. It beats any hawker stalls' anyday. Period.

*Cantonese - har meen
Hokkien - heh mee

This is one of Penang's signature dish.


It was the best I have ever tasted! My mom was also quite proud as this was her first time making it.



It's a mixture of bee hoon (thinner noodles) and mee (thicker noodles) and added with crunchy taugeh (bean sprouts), kangkung, eggs (my mom left that out), and sliced prawns (both dried- very important, and fresh) with meat laid on top. My mom also expertly added fish cakes.

Together with the good aromatic stock made of prawns, onion, belacan (chili paste) and served with sprinkling of some fried onions and shredded spring onions.

According to my mom, it isn't difficult to prepare.



So far, I'm looking for a challenger to my mom's prawn noodles. Before this, I like the ones served in TTDI. Usually prawn noodles can be found at any hawker stalls around Malaysia at around the price of RM4.00, but for Penangites or Hokkien Mee lovers, Penang style prawn noodles is special and has its own distinctive taste. It's not easy to find the same taste anywhere else.

No comments: