Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Melaka


Melaka or Malacca, is rich with its diverse culture. Melaka has always been one of Malaysia's premier tourist destinations. It turned into the pride of our nation when the state along with Penang was recognised by UNESCO as a World Heritage City on the 7th of July 2008. As a Malaysian, I'm truly proud of this.

My family and I chose a comfortable hotel. Besides traveling we didn't want to forgo our true purpose of holidaying. 2008 has been great but relatively stressful. So, we chose the period after Christmas in bid to relax and yet see the vibrant and colourful mood of this historical city. Believe it or not? Although Melaka is only a 90 minutes drive from KL, this was only my 3rd time there, 2nd in living memory. My first time there was went I was still a kid. So, couldn't remember anything at all.

Anyway...


December is a great time to visit Melaka. The Portuguese Settlement will transform their home into a wonderland! You sure can't find these sort of decorations in any of our neighbours' house anywhere else in Malaysia. They even invite everyone into their house! Such friendly folks.


I wanted to blend in to look like those Portuguese folks. So, at the flea market, I bought this hat!


Then, I went on a cam-whoring spree. So unlike me, I swear!



Oh yea. I bought a different colour in the end. Haha. But if I were a bit more patient, I could have gotten RM2 cheaper at Jonker St, where they were only selling at RM8!! Oh well, still darn cheap.

Jonker Street is such a good place to find food and souvenirs I tell you. Ok let me share some places I personally recommend to eat.


1. Jonker 88

Definitely a must go for any tourist in Melaka! The food is cheap... but only a slight prob of the queue length. Wouldn't take very long though. Besides, the wait will be all worthwhile!


Got to try the laksa!

And the nasi lemak!

OOH! And definitely the nyonya cendol and this mango ais kacang!


They also have antiques all around. So feel free to have a look around.

2. Cafe Chung Wah - just in front of the Jonker St entrance.

They serve chicken rice in unique ball shape. The ball is filled with mouth-watering gravy. Actually it's not hard to find Chicken Rice Ball shops in Melaka at all. But I think this is the famous one. Just follow the queues ;)

3. Best Cafe - along the road to the left away from Jonker St entrance.

Got to try the Nyonya Ice Cream! It contains almonds, gula melaka, etc.

And when I said entrance to Jonker St, I mean this...


Well, that's not the most ancient thing in Melaka...

1. A'Famosa - hallmark of Melaka! Built by the Portuguese.


2. St Paul's Church.


It's a burial place for the noble by the Dutch. Those huge slab of stones are tomb stones!




3. St. Francis Xavier's Church

4. Christ Church

Interesting fact about this building is that the ceiling beams were built without joints.

5. The Stadhuys
Once the official residence of the Dutch Governors and officers.

And this WindMill just across it.

6. Melaka River

I know what you are thinking. Where's KLCC right? They took it down after filming Entrapment :p

7. Newly uncovered ruins of A'Famosa...


If all that is too much... you can get around the city in trishaws!

But it can be really pricey.

Or have a bird's eye view of the city on either the Eye on Malaysia or this Taming Sari Observatory Tower!

Hopefully this will be something you will see from on top...


After all that, you can kick back and relax...


...or count your 'profit' or 'loses' while doing business in the toilet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

guess u had a lot of fun at Malacca...
btw... did u get me any souvenirs?
haha... lol... joking...

Ruth said...

ohmygosh! i think i have the same hat. =) the black one tho. hahah! next time we wear sama2 and pose k? =) ahhaha

Grinch said...

Hey!! I didn't know u commented here! Hahhaa!! Ok... we go posing next time XD