Saturday, September 19, 2009

the RC boys

One of the many things I learnt back in VI was perhaps character. 7 years in that school have prepped me to become someone capable of withstanding the mightiest of adversaries. I have learnt that "No" is not an answer I can attune to. To me, it does not carry any meaning whatsortever. When you say "no", you will only be spurring me to another unknown level that I am willing to venture into. When you say "no", I will take it as a challenge. And I can't turn down a challenge...

I love running in the rain. The only problem I have is that I am afraid of getting my shoes all sodden. So for the sake of my shoes, the most ideal rainy-day-runs would be a light drizzle which is enough to completely wet my hair say... after 4 minutes.

Running under the swollen clouds is also so much more cooling. You could be sure that you won't be overheating your 'motors' and muscles excessively and may even run that extra mile. However, without the right warm-ups, you might as well forget about running. It's like starting a car. You got to make sure the engine is hot enough; not too cold.

Anyway, for me, I always find an amazing bliss running in the rain. It reminises me of school. The rain always seem like a reprieve from the blistering sun. It's like the Heavans opening up, sparing us young men from the heat strokes easily suffered from enduring the physical activities our seniors put us through. There were many times which I relented to the unceasing seemingly meaningless torture I put myself through. When I was told to step into the line of fire, I did. When I wasn't, I did as well. Wtf right? But I am so glad I had done all of it. I am so glad that I have been taught this simple life lesson. It's all about unity. Friendship. Sticking together no matter what. You jump, I jump.

I was watching Band of Brothers last week. The first two episodes clearly depict the lifestyle us guys had to manage. It wasn't as tough as those military jocks. But it was hard enough for us 13-15 years olds. Push ups (knuckles with sharp pebbles in our grasps were pretty tough). Jogging in leather shoes. Those were the days. If you ask if I was toughen up by that exposure, I will say absolutely. There's nothing left we can't face.

Jog log: 3.5km in 21 minutes (Pretty much similar to last run. But stopped because it was getting dark - I was stepping into too many puddles. Oh and lesson #83 - Always tie you shoelases tightly. You don't want them to come loose during your runs!)

No comments: