Tuesday, January 20, 2009

no thanks. I'm full already...

The Tom Yam-style fish that mom prepared last night suddenly didn't look appetising. I was all hesitant to eat. I kept thinking about the poor fish that Cheesie ate recently. In that particular post, she also linked a video of a Sashimi chef slicing the mid-section of a fish before putting it back into the aquarium. To my utter disbelief, it was shocking and perhaps even more sickening to see the fish still swimming. It was so... :(

As I twirled with the pieces of fish on my plate; pondering if it was right to be put into my mouth (or all of ours... yeah, that serious), I couldn't help but think how that poor fish or all fish for that matter must have felt as they gasp for breathe only to endure an agonising pain. Do they understand 'impending death' or 'impending food'? If they could scream, what would they say?

"Help me!!"

I think it's absolutely cruel seeing the swimming half-sushi in the tank. There should be a 'proper' way or protocol to prepare such a dish or delicacy... whatever you may call it. Not to mutilate them and expect them to 'live like normal' mind you! I for one can't eat anything raw... what more still alive and (kicking) struggling...

In the end, I convinced myself that instead of nirvana, fish look to become food. It's what they are all born to be. Then, all the nonsensical autobiography thing we learnt back in primary school came to mind. Heck, maybe the fish themselves have a goldfish-seven-seconds-short-term-memory? Once back in the tank, they will think to themselves, "well... that's new." Yucky though to see the other fish looking to have a nibble of it. But I ain't no fish, so with the last bite of my meal, I ate all the pieces remaining on my plate hastily.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think some types of rules, standards or protocols will be good for this kind of matters and issues...

like what i know in computing... a lot of rules, standards and protocols are being used... which is a good way that people will know how things are suppose to be done...