Saturday, January 3, 2009

bushism

It's sad that George W. Bush's term is coming to an end. He certainly has been entertaining; albeit not the most powerful orator like some of his predecessors; but he has been the master of memorable quotable quotes with enough seemingly deliberate quick-wit humour to highlight the lighter side of things. He's just like a parody version of what could have been. Anyway, enjoy some of his best disasters.

"Public speaking is very easy."

18. "One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures."

17. "I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein."

16. "God told me to strike at al-Qaeda and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East."

15. "I just want you to know that when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace."

14. "I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

13. "They misunderestimated me."

12. “In my sentences I go where no man has gone before."

11. "The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country."

10. "The future will be better tomorrow."

9. "Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children."

8. "One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures."

7. "It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

6. "It's time for the human race to enter the solar system."

5. "The woman who knew that I had dyslexia - I never interviewed her." Bush, responding to a magazine article claiming he suffered from dyslexia.

4. "It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it."

3. A reporter cornered George W. Bush at a press conference:

"Many say the only reason why you would be elected for President is due to the enormous power and influence of your father."

"That notion is ridiculous!" mocked George Jr. "It doesn't matter how powerful the man is. He can only vote once!"


2. "I wish you'd have given me this written question ahead of time so I could plan for it…I'm sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference, with all the pressure of trying to come up with answer, but it hadn't yet….I don't want to sound like I have made no mistakes. I'm confident I have. I just haven't — you just put me under the spot here, and maybe I'm not as quick on my feet as I should be in coming up with one." - when he was asked to name the biggest mistake he'd made.

1. Asked to name his most wonderful moment in office during an interview with the German newspaper Bild, President Bush had this to say:

"I would say the best moment of all was when I caught a 7.5 pound largemouth bass in my lake."

No comments: