Friday, August 20, 2010

on the move...

I have been doing some physio of late; (orthopaedic's orders... and insisted by my mom) for my back. Nothing that you should be alarmed about. Just a precautionary measure. So, I hope to learn some stretching methods before jetting off on Monday.

Hot packs will be put on my back; to help release the tension of some of my muscles on my back. Basically this is what is happening to my back....

One side's muscles is stronger than the other. So, it's kinda at an uneven strength/tension... kinda like strings on a guitar... a good one. This cumulative effect will cause my posture to be somewhat Crooked with a capital C, similar to the shape of my spine now. So, if you could strum my back muscles like a guitar, it would produce good music... but 20 years down the road, it could really hurt... a lot... and I might be hunched... sideways!

For a quick fix solution, the therapist hope to strengthen the muscles on one side, while reducing the tightness of the muscles on the other side. But of course I still would need to do my own stretching at home after the sessions. Also, the therapist put this type of plaster on my back to help my body re-accustom itself to my new posture.

Like the pink one here Mr Beckham is wearing. It's called a kinesio tape.

The customary tension on each plaster (there are two on my back) will help align my back to the 'correct' position. It is as if I am a puppet at the end of two strings of different tension. Although, the feeling is subtle, subconsciously, my body will try to position itself such that the tension in both plasters are at its minimum. I wouldn't have guess that this thing would actually work if the therapist had not said that my posture is getting better. I thought "Wow!". I was only having the therapy session for 4 days!

Along with this, I have been trying to get myself into shape ie. to build up my long-gone stamina. Did some jogging during the last 3 days... it hasn't been great, but hope it's enough.

Day 1: 4km in 31 mins.
Day 2: 5km in 37 mins.
Day 3: 4km in 31 mins.

Still slower than what I know I can do... hope to improve ;)

Anyway, I was resting on a bench near the playground after my jog. While huffing and puffing through my sweat soaked eyes, I could partially see some kids having fun. It allowed me to reminisce a bit about my childhood.

Then I remembered what a colleague ... well now ex-colleague told me when I was in GSK. Human interactions in the boardroom and in the playground are the same. In the boardroom, people squabble and debate their ideas, to convince everyone why their ideas deserved to be materialised. It's kinda the same as in the playground. There always seem to be a 'dominant' one. One who seems louder and bigger than the other kids. It reminded me of Rugrats.. the cartoon I used to watch as a kid. Hostility and cooperation can be identified among these kids. You can kinda figure out how they will be like as an adult.

So, there was this 'Angelica' there, on the swings and slides. You could see 'Angelica's' passion. It's great to see lively kids like that. So carefree.. nothing to worry about. Then another kid came by... I think this kid is a 'Chuckie'... seemingly shy; unsure of himself. 'Chuckie' wandered towards 'Angelica'... with hope that he could play together. 'Angelica' took one look and shunned poor 'Chuckie'. He was excluded. It probably didn't mean anything. It was probably my tired mind's conclusion. But what I saw and surmised is that those kind of things are the very foundation and fundamentally the future of our society's heartache. If only we learned to share when we are young. It's something that should be inculcated in all kids. Exclusion is hurtful. 'Chuckie' probably felt it. Or if he was a stronger lad that I saw, he probably just shrugged off what 'Angelica' said and play at the dirty grimy monkey bars although he was too short for it.

What 'Angelica' portray was an 'I' attitude. There should be more 'We' or 'Us' vocab among children. It helps in unifying themselves too. I got up to continue cooling myself down. Sweat was dripping all over myself. It was as if I was being squeezed bone dry. I imagined the hollow inner world that 'Angelica' was unknowingly creating for herself. A cave where one could get lost, where secrets can be kept, but where one would feel alone. If only she knew...

1 comment:

jy said...

just remember to be more careful with your back and take care after it... i agree with you on the way of how kids should be educated...