Friday, August 13, 2010

10

Where will you be on the 10th of October 2010 (10-10-10)? Somewhere far or closer to home? Most importantly, what would you be doing that day? It is a date we should have marked down on our calendar. Special things, I mean wonderful things are meant to happen that day. When the day comes, when that very moment comes to be, why don't we try to put ourselves what we will do; say 10 minutes into the future, 10 days, 10 months; even 10 years forward!


We orchestrate our lives. We play our game. We make the moves. We earn what we deserved. We reap what we sow.

Recently, a book title caught my attention. It's exactly about this. Making resolutions. Making our lives meaningful. Setting goals. We have the power to decide. We are the master of our destiny. There are times when I feel that I may not have enough strength. This is when I feel vulnerable; that perhaps I have exhausted myself, and that I may not be good enough to do what I want... to be who I wanna be.

All this while, I have been relying on chances, listening to people telling me what I am supposed to be. I guess this book helps to guide my blinded attempts to make something out of myself. All this while, I prefer not to look too far into the future. I prefer to just go with the flow, to ride the waves. But I realised that it's important to actually know where this boat is taking me, and how I am getting there. By envisioning myself through this time line, I can have more focus in whatever I do. I am now able to recognise the possibility to use some of my strengths to overcome my weakness. The choices we make, determines our action; the action that proceeds, shapes our future. Life would be more balance, simpler. Life could be more of our own.

The thoughts of my future escalated as my colleagues in office asked me about my future, about life after graduation. What would I do? Who will I be? I would usually evade these sort of questions. But right now I am please to share my dreams; and by sharing, hopefully it would further motivate myself to strive to new heights. Today was my last day, the end of my internship. It has been swell. The people are awesome and it was such a fantastic learning experience on my part. I always tried to give my all, to accomplish things at my own initiative. It didn't start off that way, but I learn to do things on my own after that. I can say that I have learnt a lot, not only about marketing, but about myself. I learn I can sometimes surprise myself, if I wear my heart on my sleeve. It's all these little "other things" that we learn that will stick with us forever. Many "10s" to the team at GSK.

And so, at hindsight, I have 10 more days before I am off. What will I do? I will enjoy myself wholly. I will spend time at home, with my family as much as I can. I will do the jogging I have been putting off all this while. I will eat the buka puasa food at the gerai-gerai near my neighbourhood. I shall relax amidst the countdown people are doing for me on my behalf.

And now.. I need my sleep.. eye swollen.. got to be at the hospital by 10....




No comments: