Sunday, September 28, 2008

week 1

It has been a fresh first week in Nottingham notwithstanding that it was actually my 'second' week studying here. Lectures began this week after our induction last week. It was still pretty simple; nothing too hard yet. But at the same time a little excited, anxious, overwhelmed with all the rules; that we would have to abide by to be professional pharmacists.

On Tuesday, we went to the lab. There were so many instructions and rules that we must obey that I got a little pening (headache). One which I remembered is that we can't bring our handphones to the lab for fear that there would be interferences with the lab machinery. If that ought to happen, we could create sparks somewhere and the whole lab could explode! And another thing, if in any case chemicals spill on ourselves, they will strip us and bring us to this decontamination room where we would be dumped with buckets of cold water (I think from the water tank above)! I still shudder with apprehensiveness. I used to be really clumsy in the lab back in high school. So anyway, we got our lab coats and goggles/safety spectacles. I had my friend write my initials on the back of my collar. And I can't help but draw Nike signs on my goggles to stamp my 'trademark'.

The next day, classes only started at 3.00pm. However, I decided to go early to attend this Library Tour - to explain how to borrow books; how to use the pc to look up for journals; etc. Then, I went to the gym for the next 90 minutes. I was all alone! Just the way I like it. I did meet Ali from Pakistan there though. He gave me a few pointers on how to build my shoulders.


I wanted to do a mini triathlon. But the treadmill wasn't working.


So, I went on the thing on the right. Jogged about 3.5km; better than the day before when I could only managed a pathetic 1km! Then, I went on the bike; cycled for 2.5km.


Lifted some weights here although it was a lil stuffy as there wasn't any air-cond.

After all that, I jumped into the pool; of course after cooling down and showering my perspiration away. I could only swim so far continuously. Lactose was building up in my arms even before I got into the pool. I couldn't even make 1 lap without feeling so drained. I was again the only one there till I met Mike from London. He is a Chelsea fan. Then, we talked a bit about the game last weekend. I thought ManU started well. And Mike added that Chelsea finished the better team. He thought there would be a winner in the game. I was actually quite disappointed with how Berbatov played. He looked like he was too lazy to even chase down loose balls let alone pressure the opponents. Anyway, it was a fair 1-1 draw. Mike added that he was enjoying studying in Malaysia albeit the heat. I also asked him how far is London from Nottingham. He said about 2 hours; which he explained isn't that far.

I excused myself and showered quickly so that I could go for lunch before classes started.


A shot of one of the classes in a lecture hall.

Thursday was quite slow-moving. But I remembered Professor Doughty asking us this question. He asked, "If we got ourselves a brand new IPod, what would we do first? Use it immediately without hesitations or read the manual and perhaps look up on the internet for extra instructions first?" Then, he asked us to raise our hands which category we belong to. He said if we chose the former, we prefer to work hands on. And if we chose the latter, we prefer the theory side of things. I chose the former.

On Friday, PharmNotts (Pharmacy Society of Nottingham) had an AGM. After starting off with a speech, the president asked us 1st year undergrads to nominate each other for some of the posts on the EXCO board. Like an auction, she announced assistant secretary. Suddenly, some of the seniors shouted for my name. I was like, "What the...!". And so I got nominated and had to give an impromptu speech. All the candidates had to leave momentarily while the votes were being counted. I lost... to the class rep! Ish! But actually I wasn't too frust. So I went back to my seat. But then, a senior told me to just stand. He wanted to nominate me for assistant treasurer this time. I was actually flattered I got the seniors' backing. However, once again, I lost... to this girl who had a perfect resume to even be the treasurer of a major corporate company.

This time my friends told me they will make sure I get the next one - Assistant Event Manager. Something which I don't have a lot of experience in. So, I felt like it wasn't my comfort zone. But I still gave a speech to convince everyone that I was up to the task; honouring my other fellow candidates at the same time. I also told everyone that I don't intend to get any sympathy votes for being an assistant secretary and assistant treasurer reject. Anyway, I got it; third time lucky. Haha! I will do my best; looking forward to the challenges; and gather experiences at the same time.


No comments: