Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Sabah - teaser

On the Eve of Christmas, we woke up early for a 5 hours-road winding-stomach churning-bladder busting-journey from Sandakan to Kota Kinabalu. The only stop we made was at Ranau. About halfway through the journey. We stopped at the Petronas Station. Perhaps due to luck or convenience, every other road traveler also stopped to take a leak there. The stench was horrible to say the least. Peee-yooo-wtf #$%#@ can be said is only an understatement. It was a stench you never could live through. A cigarette could really lit up the whole place, not because of the petroleum, but because of the methane gas accumulating in the toilet. Maybe this was how they produce their petroleum, from people's waste.


Anyway, I actually had a powerful urge to go. But I figured I could hold on and last through the journey all the way to Karambunai. So, I just took a leak and we were on our way. Then, just then, I knew I couldn't hold any longer. Awful luck? Maybe.

We passed by a fruit market, and my aunt and mom went down to buy some. I stormed out of the 4WD, and went from stall to stall in search for a toilet. I found one not far off, and it was like my burden was lifted. I hopped back into the ride, and felt relief. I wiped the little beads of sweat on my forehead, with clean hands of course. Lucky we wanted fruits? Maybe.

Karambunai was beautiful! We even had free internet connection! It was like paradise! And for dinner, we ate like Kings! Beef, turkey, chicken, lamb, salmon, prawns, etc! I realised my other friends probably had simpler Christmas Eve dinner. So, I was thankful. A friend texted me and said I was so lucky to have a scrumptious meal. Maybe.

The next day, I diarrhoea-ed another 3 times! So, half my day in paradise was wasted in my room. Because of this, I didn't have the time to visit a friend in UMS. Ouch! Maybe.

But anyway, the rest of the time in Paradise was awesome!! We had the time of our lives! I was starting to dread that this holiday was about to end. Maybe.

Then we headed back to Kota Kinabalu (KK). We would spend a night there before flying off. We dropped by at Lok Kawi Wildlife Park. It is a newly open Zoo in KK. So when we got there, they wanted to check our IC to see if we are eligible for nationality discounts. I rummaged through my wallet and found it was missing!! I was like so scared!! Freaked out.. !! Everyone was like trying to help me remember where I'd misplaced it. Was it at the Turtle Island jetty at Buli Sim Sim?? Was it at the laundry in Sandakan?? Everyone was coming up with solutions, more worried how I was to get home. UNLLLUCCCKYY???! Maybe.

My sis grabbed my wallet and thoroughly checked for me while I was skeptical she would uncover anything. But a minute later, she ended my ordeal. It was tucked away in a pocket I usually wouldn't use! I wanted to kick myself. I apologised to everyone for the massive unnecessary heart attack. Phew.. Maybe.

The next day, we had another scare. At the airport, apparently someone had taken my cousin's ticket! It was not known who... perhaps hackers or someone more sinister. I tried to negotiate my way around my thoughts about the possibilities. On the other hand, all the other adults (parents) were more vocal to the officers in-charge, demanding that we get another ticket. They had asked us to pay for another, which actually seemed rather unacceptable. After hours of arguing... I thought we were going to miss our flight, we managed to get the ticket without paying. Rightfully, considering the circumstances and the reasons which I would not mention here. Fortunate? Maybe.

We got home... home sweet home... The next day, I had plan to detox. And the day after that (yesterday)... for some unfortunate reason, I woke up with a headache. I had breakfast, which I thought I wasn't able to finish. An hour later, I vomited everything out. I slept the next few hours thinking that it was the milk, probably because it was near expiry. (After holidays... not enough food at home.) But after nap, I was still groggy. It was 4pm. And I had not eaten the whole day. I went down to grab something. But I found out I couldn't even finish a slice of bread. I did the maths and thought this could be serious. I texted a friend. I asked for the symptoms of Denggi and Malaria, just in case. The reply came agonisingly slow... about 15 minutes later. It nearly match for Denggi. My friend asked if I have red spots on my leg. I said "Yes". I had always assumed the spots which I had gotten a week earlier were from sand flies. I was only thinking that I could be hospitalised and that my studies/preparations for exams could be affected. Maybe.

I saw the doctor later that day, only after vomiting for the second time... And like I said in my previous post, slept 18 hours... And now I feel slightly better. Maybe.

I didn't inform other people for fear that it would cause some unnecessary concerns, especially uni friends. I know they are a worry-some bunch. But I love them. So.. I am okay now.. I guess stories like this are not uncommon. Life is like a rollercoaster. One moment, you are on a high, the next you are not. If only, it were so much simpler. If only, we were more in control of our fate. But then again, that's life. So many things can happen in between here and there, now and the future. We just have to... live like everything is planned... so we don't have to worry... because everything would have been planned and known... I don't know. Maybe.




No comments: