Tuesday, March 9, 2010

point of view

It's quite a feeling thinking how our perspectives of things change over the years...

Whilst I was in school, I used to see school uniform as such a bore. I thought the Government was starving us of creativity, forcing us to wear something so plain, instead of letting us wear what defines us as a person. Who am I kidding? I wasn't thinking of that... But I guess that's what most people thought. To me, I had no opinion at all what sort ever. Perhaps, I was forced to don uniforms since young, and that I simply grew up with them without any complaints. But anyway, as I became a senior, I would try to bend the rules made by the school. I wore baggy pants that nearly covered my shoe, and long enough till it gets drag at my heels. I wore short shirts, simply because I knew it would get untucked from my pants. Such were the kind of fashion you would see in school on a day-to-day basis. I guess I was rebellious and nonchalant.

Then, when I left school. I started to see things differently. I thought kids in school got it all for them. Day after day, they wouldn't have to decide what to wear to school. They wouldn't need to consider if they had labs, or sports, or etc and try to wear something which would be suitable enough for those activities. School mornings weren't a hassle at all. You know what you would be wearing at any start of the day. I guess I was an unappreciative complainer and someone who was more opinionated.

Now, as I am in my second year in university, I think differently. To me, wearing school uniforms are a great idea. Kids wouldn't be so materialistic. Kids wouldn't get bullied for wearing something uncool. Uniforms made all of us to be equal. We did not have to be judged based on what we wore. Every student started school with a clean slate. None would have to endure any discriminating first impressions, both the kid next to you, and the teacher up front. I guess I am more pragmatic and understanding, yet still willing to challenge ideas which don't conform with my personal beliefs.

Years from now, who knows what I would see next. Perhaps as a parent, I would say that school uniform is a great idea because it's cheap, and that my pocket don't have to be burned unnecessarily (although I would love my kids). Not that I am a cheapskate, but I think it would be so much easier to replace a uniform (supposed my kids are always getting their uniforms torn.. bless them, or if they can outgrow the uniforms faster than I wash them). You can find them nearly at every mall for a slashed price especially during the "back to school period". So, I guess I would be someone more caring and someone who is careful with what he spends.

Well, we would have to see how that pens out won't we? Here's a thought, have your perspective of someone ever change?


No comments: