Thursday, January 14, 2010

butterfly effect

The butterfly effect is a metaphor that encapsulates the concept of sensitive dependence on initial conditions in chaos theory; namely that small differences in the initial condition of a dynamical system may produce large variations in the long term behavior of the system.



I spotted a trapped orange butterfly fluttering against the window pane over the kitchen sink. I knew it yearned freedom, for the sun was outside, shining brightly over the flower hedges. I decided to open the window as wide as I could. Nectar was aplenty at that time of the day - it was just before noon. Lunch time should be near. All creatures share the same eating times right?

I was heating mine over the stove. Steam accumulates quickly in the kitchen. So, I had the exhaust fan on to flush the steam out.

The butterfly was still oblivious to my goodwill. It was still struggling to see past the barrier which was the glass window. I tried to shoo it towards the opening. It was the last thing I wished I had done. Next thing I knew, my hands were cupped over my mouth as I shrieked OHMYGOODNESS!

The sound of terror - like the sound of a zzzapppp! - like the sound of paper against some heavy machinery - diluted each of my senses, shrouded me with guilt.

I off the fan, and naively looked out the window, hoping that the evaporated, disembodied flying fairy could somehow have coalesced back together. But to my horror, none of such.

Just like that... so tragic... so fragile...


Take this lesson to heart... to the rakyat, we live in a beautiful country. Don't let one word be the instigator, be the fuel to fire, to cause a storm... a pyrostorm in this multiracial muhibbah nation of ours. Thank you.


No comments: